I have to say that 2014 was a year of massive changes. We’re going into 5 years in the business of helping people buy and sell and we’re finally properly conscious of what we know and don’t know. I’ve never been more excited for the future. Here’s the highlights:
– Our move to do more business on the commercial (multi-family) side continues. About 65% of our income was from the commercial side, while I think we still do a great job on residential properties. I love working with friends and family – right now I’m pretty sure we’ll always stay involved in that side of the business. It’s so grounded and I like knowing how things are in the market first hand.
– We did make one big change to the residential side of the business in the person of Jennifer Elander-Bianchini. Jen is a brilliant Realtor, always cheerful, massively hard working and loves spending time with people. She’s helping our buyer clients find new homes and learning lots as we go.
– We gained Jen, but after 30+ years in the business Brent decided to retire from the active side of real estate. He’s still involved managing his own properties, helping out when our clients need advice – he’s still available for consulting and speaking engagements! If you’re buying your first apartment building he just might join you for a walkthrough and see if he can impart some wisdom.
– The band that Mike Landry and I have played in for nearly 10 years recorded our second album and played some cool gigs before letting things go to see what new projects God has in store for us.
– I’ve also brought some terrific experience into the office in the person of Leigh Davies. She’s the former controller and general manager of Davies Management and my office has never been cleaner or more organized.
– I’m writing a book! It’s about strategic apartment building ownership and it’ll hopefully be out in early 2015. Drop me an email or comment if you’d like to be on the list for updates.
– I also finally got my MCNE (Master Certified Negotiation Expert) done which included a trip to Vancouver and Victoria!
This was a very challenging year but when I look back at what we accomplished I think we weathered the storm in style. Here’s to a great 2015.